Playing the Guitar: Three Months Recap (XI)



Q: So I've been playing the guitar for two months now.
A: Good for you.

Q: Thanks. So. What do I do next?
A: Well, it depends, I guess.

Q: Depends on what?
A: It depends on what you've learned, in these two months.

Q: I've learned the open chords, the strumming patterns you've shown me, and the oldies progression songs you told me about.
A: Excellent. And? Had any problems?

Q: Well, yeah, I had a few.
A: Like what?

Q: I had problems figuring out the rhythm for some of the songs. And the strumming, too...
A: Yeah, that could be a problem.

Q: ... and there are these chords you said nothing about.
A: Huh? What chords?

Q: The 7 chords.
A: Ah, those chords. So you stumbled upon them.

Q: Yes.
A: And? What do you think?

Q: They're weird!
A: Well, yeah, ha ha, you could say that, I guess.

Q: And there is a whole bunch of them!
A: Yeah, that too.

Q: I don't think I can learn them all at once.
A: But that's the beauty of it. You don't have to!

Q: Huh?
A: Yeah. You just learn them as you discover them. You just learn them as you go along.

Q: What do you mean?
A: Well, I don't know if you've noticed, but most oldies songs have only one 7 chord in them. A G7, an E7, a B7, whatever. So it is easy to learn them one at the time, as you try new songs.

- "Tears on my pillow", for example, has only a G7 in it.
- "Stay", by Maurice Williams And The Zodiacs, has only a B7 in it. And so on. See? You just learn them as you go!

Q: Aha, I see.
A: Peace of cake. Wink. There are also songs that have a whole bunch of 7 chords in them, but, well, if you leave those songs for a little later, maybe you'll be used to them by then.

Q: What songs?
A: Songs like "Jingle Bells". Or "Just a Gigolo".




No comments: